September 7, 2013; Los Angeles, CA, USA; Washington State Cougars kicker Andrew Furney (49) is congratulated after kicking a field goal that puts the Cougars ahead of the Southern California Trojans during the second half at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. Mandatory Credit: Gary A. Vasquez-USA TODAY Sports
So you know the results and the gist of the upset, here are the plays of the game.
- The first half was nothing short of offensive, but not in the way you would think of when considering USC vs a Mike Leach coached Washington State team. USC’s defense basically hands the offense their only score when they sack Connor Halliday and force a fumble that bounces backward and is picked up by a lineman and run back inside the 20.
- Cody Kessler fakes a handoff and the entire Cougar defense is juked… Kessler strolls into the endzone for a 7-0 USC lead.
- Halliday try’s a jump pass down the right sidelines. Mistake and diving interception with just over a minute to go in the 2nd quarter. USC set up to take at least a 10-0 lead into half.
- Fortunately, Kessler wasn’t too proud to return the favor from Halliday. While being rushed frantically by a charging Junior Gauta, Kessler threw well behind Nelson Algalhor and Damante Horton takes it 70 yards the other way to tie it with :27 seconds left.
- 3rd quarter sees USC march in back to back possessions into field goal range. Block, then Wide Left. Still 7-7.
- 4th quarter is a lot of nothing, but SC looks to have the game in hand with around 5 minutes left on the drive. 4th down and 7 sees Marquise Lee catch a ball at the first down marker around the 30, but he jumps backwards and gets swamped under by a swarming Cougar defense to hold.
- Finally, on 3rd and 9, Halliday throws a screen to Dom Williams. Williams should be short but wrestles away from a tackle and then takes off up the left sidelines, rambling down to the USC 30.
- After gaining 5 yards, Andrew Furney comes in and bangs a 41 yard field goal right down the middle with 3:03 left. 10-7 Cougs.
- Marquise Lee, who is thoroughly frustrated at this point, takes a ball 6 yards deep in the endzone and tries to make something happen. Stuffed at the 12!
- After a PI call on WSU, Kessler gets picked by Horton for the second time in the game.
- PI on USC gives WSU the first down they need to seal the first win at USC in 13 years.