From time to time I go on a Fresh Prince of Bel-air binge, for nights or weeks at a time. It’s a little bit strange, but for some reason when I look at Marquess Wilson I think of Will Smith. This is a bit of a crazy point to make, but I’m in for some comedy and there are a few slight degrees of separation in my mind between the two.
1. Ok the first part of this is pretty obvious. There’s a resemblance there, yeah? I see it, which is why all of this works! It could be the long, wiry frame. Or maybe it’s that identically thick, slightly rough-shod hair that makes a perfect high top fade (well, Marquess’ fade could use some work). Who knows, but it’s something I think about.
2. Will Smith became famous “in” the community known as Bel Air, near Hollywood. Wilson’s hometown city of Tulare is also in California, where he became a star at Tulare Union.
3. Will’s first son, Trey, played football at Oaks Christian in Cali as a receiver, so although they never played each other, there’s the football connection. (Also a strange silly connection in word play with Wilson and Will’s son).
4. Wilson also plays a leading role in the air attack of the Cougs, led by none other than Jeff Tuel. So from Bel-air to Tulare on Tuel-air? Hmmmm, maybe.
5. And lastly? Well, there’s the fact that I enjoy watching both of them in their own roles on a Saturday afternoon! Or in this case, late night, ya know, when Fresh Prince shows….. Doesn’t get any better than that!
Go Cougs! LOL.