The Washington State Cougars are in full hospitality mode over the next few weeks, trying to secure the final spots in the 2013 class. Many kids are taking their final visits in the weeks to come and it’s a big chance for schools to “close the deal” on a kid that’s on the fence. Much more so than earlier in the cycle, these visits really matter because kids are in the decision making mode and can be swayed or turned off in the blink of an eye.
Here are the seven guys visiting this weekend and their status, as it relates to WSU.
|Video||HT/ WT/ 40||Interest |
|Offer?||Visit Date||Visit School|
|DE||44||Paulo Lepua |
(Nathaniel Narbonne HS)
Harbor City, CA
|CB||45||Kevin King |
(Bishop O Dowd HS)
|CB||96||Chidobe Awuzie |
(Oak Grove HS)
San Jose, CA
|WR||119||Darren Andrews |
(Bishop Amat HS)
La Puente, CA
|OT||107||Cody O’Connell |
|OT||111||Dwayne Johnson |
|WR||187||Hunter Jarmon |
- Lepua and O’Connell have already verballed.
- King is committed to UW, but very excited about taking his first official visit this week, which just happens to be at WSU. There is a minimal chance that his impressions could change his mind and boy would that be something! Tall, athletic CBs are what Breske is after and the fact that has King most interested is the opportunity to compete for time right away.
- Awuzie is thought to be “all but in” and probably giving his verbal on this trip. If that happens expect any hopes of King changing his mind to be dashed. If this kid verbals, we’ll be getting another top 100 player at CB, which is big. Awuzie would be the 3rd corner in the class and all three would be at least 6’0″ tall.
- Andrews looks like he might have been squeezed out at UCLA for whatever reason, at least that’s the running rumor. If that’s the case his interest level could really rise over the weekend.
- The other WR visiting this week, Hunter Jarmon, is a kid that is thought of as “severely underrated” (apparently around the country) and that’s probably true after his senior year of 93 catches, 1,470 yards, 11 TD’s. He has 19 BCS offers, including Baylor, Texas Tech, Oregon St., Kansas, K-State, SMU, Mizzou and others. Another kid that has a better than avg chance of committing this weekend. He says OSU, Tech and Wazzu are all “even” on his list, the good news being that he already visited the Beavs. Tech’s visit is scheduled on the 18th.
- Dwayne Johnson is a very interesting late development. Visited and committed to Purdue in Oct, then decommitted recently. Offers from Virginia, Arky, Tulsa, Purdue and just a few days ago Nebraska. Johnson is set for a Nebraska visit next week, after Wazzu this week. Could really use one more OL and Johnson would fit in really nicely, but I gotta say that Nebraska has the upper hand with the final visit. We’ll see.
EDIT: It appears that Zelt Minor, a 6’3″ 260 lbs DT (DE) out of Houston, TX is also taking the trip this weekend, so there will be 3 from Texas. Originally, Minor committed to SMU and is not thought to have the most interest in WSU, but it’s worth mentioning that he’ll be the eighth prospect visiting.
Just adding to the intrigue! 7 more visits next week and we’ll get to that after the weekend.